Monday, September 29, 2014

The Importance of Bible Reading and Prayer

Not long ago I was helping my wife with a project that required using a pipe cutter.  As I was cutting the pipe my hand slipped off the handle and scraped against something on the tool.  When I looked at my wrist, I noticed a gash that was bleeding. I immediately applied pressure and cleaned it up.  When I looked closer, it looked like I had cut a major artery.  I held it closed while my wife grabbed the first aid kit and found some butterfly bandages and applied them to hold the cut together.  She then applied a dressing on top of it.  After the initial shock, I started feeling nauseous, broke out in a cold sweat, and was dizzy.  I thought I was going to faint.  While all this was happening, I suddenly remembered my military First Aid training on shock and recognized the symptoms immediately.  I didn't have to go look them up, I just remembered them and knew that's what I was experiencing. 

As I reflected back later, I thought of that verse in Luke 12:11-12: ""And when you are brought to trial in the synagogues and before rulers and authorities, don't worry about what to say in your defense, for the Holy Spirit will teach you what needs to be said even as you are standing there."
I also thought about WHY and HOW the Holy Spirit teaches us at that moment.  Could it be that the more we study God's Word and do as Psalm 119:11 say ("I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you"), and the more we pray and learn to hear His voice that gives the Holy Spirit something to start with? The more we study, and are in His presence, the more we will have the confidence that what is in our spirit and mind will be there when we need it.  Just like I knew the symptoms of shock after hearing and studying First Aid over and over many times, the more we give the Holy Spirit to start with to continue teaching us what to say and what we should know. 

There will be times in our lives when we will not have the opportunity or time to find what the Scriptures says on a certain topic, but when it is stored in memory through study and repeated reading, we will know what God's Word says and we have a place to start and a place from which the Holy Spirit can work with.  This can give us confidence in what we are saying when it starts with what we have hidden away.  Will we have to remember it before a court of law?  Hopefully not, but you never know when you will need it and need to be able to recognize the voice of the Holy Spirit and you will know it is the right thing to say for the circumstance you are in.  If you have not made it a habit if reading God's Word and talking to and listening to Him, I urge you to do so.  The sooner you start, the more you will have tucked away in your heart when it is needed.  It doesn't need to be large chunks of scripture at a time or long times of prayer at first.  Start slow and allow the Holy Spirit to grow in you a hunger and thirst for more.  Don't wait till you wished you knew it, start now.

By the way, after closer inspection of my wrist, I realized I had missed the major artery by a millimeter or two.  It was all because of my years of going over and over the First Aid and symptoms of shock that allowed me to keep calm in order to be able to focus and do what needed to be done in order to stop the bleeding.  In the same way, even when it seems 'boring' or 'tedious', continue in His Word and in prayer.  There will come a time when you will be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment