Saturday, August 18, 2012

God is doing something new




Have you felt what feels like a desert around you lately?  I am not talking about a physical desert, but that may also be the case.  I am speaking of a spiritual desert; a time when it feels like you are dry in your spirit, church feels dull, you don't want to read your Bible, you don't want to do anything spiritual.    It's not a pleasant feeling, is it?  It feels like you have been forgotten or that God has decided to skip over you and go move somewhere else.  You might even hear of other places where God is moving in power and incredible glory.  You might also feel that everything around you is falling apart.  Your job is gone or is no longer enjoyable.  Everyday feels like drudgery.  I have been there too.  But recently, it suddenly feels different.  Something is beginning to happen.  I can't explain it other than something new is on its way.

A few months ago, God showed me a vision.  I was standing on a beach.  The waves were coming in and lapping at my feet. It felt nice, like a day in paradise.  Suddenly the waves stopped rolling in and I saw the ocean receding quickly away from me.  At first I my thoughts were "What did I do? Where is it going?  Why are you leaving God?"  Then I looked farther out into the ocean.  I saw a giant swell racing for the beach, right for me.  As I watched, a giant wave formed, a tsunami headed towards the shore.  Then it hit, and it kept coming.  Wave after wave it kept rolling into shore.  I asked what this was.  The answer came this way:  "Just like when a natural tsunami comes and the water pulls out to sea, so will it seem with my presence.  It will seem like everything has stopped, but in reality it has not, it is just preparing for a new season, a season of inundation, a deluge, of Gods glory and presence."

I was again reminded of this scene recently.  It has felt like a sudden waste land, like God was pulling away.  But in reality, He was preparing to come in like a flood.  The purpose for the pulling away was to build our hunger for what He is about to do.  God is about to do something that we see as new.  But is there anything new under heaven?  According to Ecclesiastes 1:9 nothing is truly new.  Just because we have not seen it before does not mean it is new.  But at the same time it is new, not as in something that has never happened before, but new as in greater, something that hasn't been seen for a long time, something that can only be read about in history books. 

Jesus Himself said before he left:  "The truth is, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father." (John 14:12).  That is what the new thing is.  It will be greater things, a greater presence, something we have not even thought possible.  God is on the move.  He has already started the new thing.  Look for it. As Isaiah 43:9 says:  "Have you not seen it?"  That means we can miss it if we are not looking for it.  For example, there are many things as you travel down the road that you can miss if you are not looking.  You can miss great and wonderful things. 

Does this mean that everything is about to get better politically and economically?  Maybe, maybe not.  But those are not the important things.  The important thing is God is on the move.  God wants to do miraculous things.  If you are not looking, you will miss them.  Even if you know they are coming you have look for them.  You have to expect the new things, the greater things.  It is easy to miss the beauty of God if you are not looking in the right place and your heart and spirit are not ready. 

How do we do spot them?  We must look.  We must prepare our hearts and spirits for the new things, the greater things, the tsunami.  Get ready, look around, look at your own spirit.  Do not miss what God is about to do.  It will be easy to explain it away if you are not prepared.  Here it comes, the new thing God is already doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment