Saturday, October 13, 2012

Lessons learned from the Feline persuasion

Snowshoe cat
This may seem silly, but I have a cat that has taught me a thing or two that has helped in my spiritual life, and I pray that these insights help readers.

The first observation  I noticed was this:  my cat love being near me, sometimes on my lap, sometimes on the couch next to me, and other times just in the same room.  The lesson I learned is that this is the way we should view our relationship with God.  We should desire to be in His presence and close to Him as much as possible.  This is what we were made for.  How many times in the Bible do we read that God is jealous for us, that He longs for His children to be close to Him?  Sometimes we read it in story form and sometimes we read it in plain language that God desires for us to be near Him and wish for us to be obedient to His voice and Word above all other things.

Another observation I have made is this:  my daughter had a string that she using to play with the cat.  It was actually quite hilarious.  An 8 year old cat playing like an 8 wk old kitten.  After a while, she placed on my bedside table when she was finished.  After a couple days, the cat found it and dragged it out and dropped it and looked at it like she wanted to play, so we did.  Then I put it in a drawer so she would not see it, thinking that maybe out of sight might mean out of mind.  But no, she saw where we put it and would, and actually still does, will go that drawer and either look it and meow or paw it and meow.  She will do this until I take it out and play with her.  If  I don't, she will look at me and give me a pathetic meow as if to say "Can't we play?"   The lesson I learned is that she asked and kept on asking, she sought and kept on seeking, she knocked and kept on knocking (Mathew 7:7-8).  She is like the persistent widow in her asking.  She doesn't give up until she gets an answer to her plea.  Many times we are not like that.  We ask God once and if our plea does not get answered, we sulk away and never ask.  I am not saying we are like that, but I know many who are.  I have even done it.  Let's try and be more like my cat, and be persistent when we enter Gods throne room until we get an answer.  Sometimes God delays in answering because it's not the right time or because he wants to see if we will keep asking.  Sometimes He does answer but our ears are clogged with our life circumstances.  Ask and keep on asking, seek and keep on seeking, knock and keep on knocking.

The final observation I will make here is the fact that my cat is so sure that I will meet her needs (i.e. feed her, clean the litter box, keep her safe, etc.).  She never worries about food or water or even attention and love from us human folk.  If a cat, who is a creature, does not worry about those things because we take care of them, how much more will our God take care of our needs?  Many times we worry needlessly about things.  Jesus even taught us about this in these words:

         "Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you shall eat or what you shall drink, nor about your body, what you shall put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?   Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?  And which of you by being anxious can add one cubit to his span of life?  And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin; yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O men of little faith?   Therefore do not be anxious, saying, `What shall we eat?' or `What shall we drink?' or `What shall we wear?'   For the Gentiles seek all these things; and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.   But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things shall be yours as well.   Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let the day's own trouble be sufficient for the day." (Matthew 6:25-34) 

God is our provider, not our efforts.  At any time God can allow circumstances to allow you to discover that it is not your efforts, your intelligence, your hard work that provides for you.  That may be needed, but God is the ultimate provider.  So if  we know how to take care of our pets and those under our care, how much more can God, the creator and sustainer of all things, take care of all of us.

I pray that as you have read this, you take some comfort in what God can do and does when we seek Him.  I also pray that if you struggle with any of these areas, that you learn how to fully depend on God our Savior, friend, provider, and Lord.  The most important of these lessons is found in Matthew 6:33 which states: "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things shall be yours as well."

No comments:

Post a Comment